Sender:Michael
Date/Time:2008-Nov-23 14:53:00
Subject:Re: WWP vs. ZKM - New Information and New Developments

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: WWP vs. ZKM - New Information and New Developments Michael 2008-Nov-23 14:53:00
Hello Carsten,

hm, thats good news. Seems there was some misunderstanding. To be
honest, I know the difference between Urheberrecht and Nutzungsrecht
well but until your clarification I didn't get it right from Prof.
Pustejovskys communication that the task-force or the group should be
able to use the expertise in the future. Good to have this set in
place again. Anyhow the ZKM-F group is still the group who has paid
the money and I can see little understanding inside the group, how
this can be doubted. The character of the WWP project as a group of
individuals creating its content was the reason for the ZKM-F group to
ask a lawyer about this expertise. How can he have been unaware of this?

BTW: I think the expertise was necessary for us (here: ZKM-F) as an
international group with different approaches to copyright and the
related legislation. It serves to be sure about the case in Germany
and what steps to take. On the other hand it will not be necessary to
use it hundreds of times for each single case. If a group solution can
be obtained with the ZKM it would be much easier for us and foremost
for the ZKM.

This brings me to another point, Carsten: It makes me wonder, why
Prof. Vogel should be regarded as a neutral person in this case? He is
the lawyer of the ZKM and I see this as an attempt to start a group
solution - or a delay - again. The ZKM obviously is listening here to
some extend (they had been invited to do so and we all remember Bernd
Lintermanns forwarded message of Prof. Weibel to theis list, don't
we?) and I guess the least they want to have is all those individuals
going berserk who were organised in a group until now. Certainly its a
lot less individuals going to court than there are organised in the
ZKM-F. But having a lawcase every week would not really make them
happy. What would please them would be an endless discussion, small
concessions, delay again, discussions etc until even the best-willing
WWP member says "Oh no, leave me alone and please stop talking about
it on this list."

If I get it right, you doubt if the ZKM-F groups wish for a complete
list of abused panoramas has ever reached the ZKM. I don't want to
guess here and I don't want to know about the whens and whats in the
past. If you have the confidence in the ZKM good will, then it is
definetly time (and their last chance to do so, I guess) for them to
forward this list NOW to the general knowledge of all wwp participants
here in this list. Do you believe they will do? I do not. This has
many times been said to be the basic requirement for peaceful
negotiations. They know they have done something illegal and they are
afraid. This might save them some money (I'm not sure about this) but
it will harm their case more than any other thing regarding reputation.

Last but not least: We know that the ZKM had been invited to discuss
all this. All what they did was to complain about us ignorants who
want to hinder spreading their project which is abusing our
contributions - no discussion after several answers to the Weibel
letter. If they want discussion, well, they are free to do so. If they
want to be serious about a compensation - may it be in money or any
other support - they are free to do so. This can be achieved here in
this list and via addressing Yuval Levy to reach a big group behind
him. If you want to form another group, well, do so. Better for the
participants and better for the ZKM if there are some few groups to
deal with, than with a lot of individuals.

Yours,
Michael