Sender:Markus Altendorff
Date/Time:2004-Sep-26 11:26:00
Subject:Re: a newbie's story

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: a newbie's story Markus Altendorff 2004-Sep-26 11:26:00
brooksleffler wrote:

> My friend Scott Haefner, who has done wondrous things with
> aerial panos from a kite
> (http://thehaefners.com/kap/360panos/) suggested that we both
> submit kite aerial

I think i read about the page on the QTVR mailing list a month
or two ago and completely forgot about it, even though i was (and
am again now) deeply impressed. Thanks for reminding me! I'm a
big fan of aerial photography (though i never found the courage
to strap an expensive camera to a bouncy unreliable concoction of
sticks and rags (just kidding) <- about the sticks and rags - not
about my courage ;-)

> You can see my three finalists at the links below; I would
> love to hear your comments and especially your suggestions on
> how to get a sharp pano from a fisheye on a 4MP camera.
>
> http://www.redshift.com/~kyteman/RockyShores.small.mov

This one is my favourite, since it's a) aerial and b) has the
"required" bridge in it ;-)

As for the sharpness, i'm not sure if you're already compensating
the color aberration, since i noticed some red/blue fringes e.g.
on the window frames and the bushes in front of the houses?
Usually, i can guess if a panorama was made with a fisheye if i
see color fringes near the top/bottom (or the horizon, in that
case of a camera pointing downwards), as it was with a few other
panorama previews posted here. Making sure that the
red/green/blue channels match in size when preparing the shots
before creating the panorama does increase the sharpness, since
you're not "blending" three differently-sized "exposures"
together. Haven't used a fisheye for quite a while, though...

Yours,
Markus
http://www.panoramas.de/