Sender:Landis
Date/Time:2004-Mar-06 01:48:00
Subject:Re: I hope to join this project.

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: I hope to join this project. Landis 2004-Mar-06 01:48:00
George,

Glad to see you're joining us, I hope you get the chance to take the
panorama.  It is on a Saturday after all!

>If I remember correctly, "einkruezen" means "a cross". So apparently Bernard
>means he will put "a cross or an x" on the map to show the location.

Bernhard and I continued this conversation via off list email and
figured out we were both referring to triangulation.  Actually it
turns out the word is the same in English and German!  I guess I
should have seen that as the proper word.  For some reason I was
thinking that you'd need a third sighting to make it a triangle but
your unknown point IS that third point.  So much for my degree in
geography!  :)

>Regarding GPS, I don't currently have one, but it has been on my list to
>acquire. One of my colleagues on the "Belize Virtual Mangrove Trail Project"
>has been using a software program that will time stamp your images as well
>as put the coordinates on them. It only runs under Windows and in a nutshell
>this is how it works. You take a GPS reading at the location and time that you
>take an image. For panos, you should only have to take one reading for all the
>images. Then using this software, you download that GPS dataset and your
>images to your computer and it matches the time your images were taken and
>puts the data on a copy of the image in a separate folder.  I will
>try to get the
>name and particulars for you if you are interested and do not know about it
>already.

I've seen software just like this - maybe it is your friend's.  It's
Windows software and will take take the time stamp from the EXIF data
in your digital camera images and compare it to the track log on your
GPS.  I'll find that link if it will help anyone, but this is
probably not suited to this project.

Anyway, welcome George!

-Landis