Sender:Alex Makienko
Date/Time:2004-Jul-31 03:31:00
Subject:Re: copyright violation

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: copyright violation Alex Makienko 2004-Jul-31 03:31:00
Here are some explanations of the US copyright law from the site
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wccc:

"The copyright in the work of authorship immediately becomes the property of
the author who created the work."

So as soon as you created (printed or produced a file) your photo or pano,
it becomes copyrighted. Note that if you've created anything being hired for
this job the copyright belongs to your employer.

"No publication or registration or other action in the Copyright Office is
required to secure copyright. .... Copyright is secured automatically when
the work is created, and a work is "created" when it is fixed in a copy or
phonorecord for the first time. "

That's clear.

"The use of a copyright notice is no longer required under U. S. law,
although it is often beneficial. .... Use of the notice may be important
because it informs the public that the work is protected by copyright,
identifies the copyright owner, and shows the year of first publication."

So "c-in-circle" is not mandatory to copyright your job. This is just for
information. However it is useful for protection. Probably those guy grabbed
Don's panos didn't know that QT file contains the copyright information. If
the copyright information is clearly visible, it reduces a chance for the
picture to be stolen.

I guess in the major statements different copyright laws are pretty much the
same. However there might be some differences in copyright acts in different
countries and you may want to verify that prior to publishing your work in
these countries.

Alex