Sender:Markus Altendorff
Date/Time:2005-Sep-27 10:36:00
Subject:Re: problems with small rooms

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: problems with small rooms Markus Altendorff 2005-Sep-27 10:36:00
Cristian wrote:
> Does anybody know why do I have problems when stitching images made in
> small rooms (1-2mp)?
>
> It seems that outdoors I have no problem, but indoors it`s a mess at
> the edges.
>
> I use a Sony 828 full wide and a Panosaurus to make 12 photos and then
> I stitch them with Panorama Factory.

This sounds like a classic case of bad alignment / too much parallax error. It does
only show in tight spaces, not landscapes (if the pictures never really match no
matter what the location is, the lens may have too much distortion and needs extra
correction).

The camera does not rotate around the nodal point (principal point, entrance pupil,
exit pupil ... there's a discussion going on how it's called correctly ;).

In short, you have to find the one point somewhere along the optical axis of the
lens where the foreground and the background do not "shift" while you turn the
camera.

Most of the equipment manufacturers offer tutorials for that:

http://db.manfrotto.com/303SPH/main.php?cnt=howto#cylExpl
http://www.kaidan.com/nodalpoint.html

or just try "camera panorama nodal point finding" in Google, a few examples are:

http://www.outline.be/quicktime/tuto/
http://www.vrphotography.com/data/pages/techtutorials/technotes/nodalpta...

-Markus