Sender:chris
Date/Time:2005-Nov-11 14:03:00
Subject:Re: panoramas web optimization

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: panoramas web optimization chris 2005-Nov-11 14:03:00
On 11/11/05, scrat20032003 <#removed#> wrote:
> Hi. That sounds interesting
>
> > I can show you some methods for generating various types of panos
> using
> > web3d (VRML)
> > if that is of interest.
>
> This is of interest but what did you mean by "web3d (VRML)" ? I
> didn't quite get that ... :(
ok, I mean in VRML.  I'll send another post - one I sent seems to be lost.
web3d in my parlance comes in different flavours these days: the old
VRML, and various encodings of X3D, plus some derivatives of VRML/X3D.

> The web optimisation methods in this case are
> > level of detail and compression,
> > various other options for varying the size of images
> and "geometry".
>
> I can only supose what you are refering to ..
> I exported only in .mov format (QVTR) and I used Realviz Stitcher 4.0
> (on WinXP). I played a bit with the settings there after stitching
> the images and before exporting to the .mov format. I managed to
> shrink the .mov file a bit (about 3MG - a full cubical pano still
> with pretty good resolution) but nothing spectacular .. For
> stitching I used images of 1024x768 resolution. I don't know ..
> there's much to say ..

ok, I am working basically from an image of pretty much any size as
you get to "tune" it to a multiresolution binary/quadtree of images.
Plus the output can be a number of different shapes - but you can read
my follow-up mail for details.

> I guess the optimisation also has something to do with the grid that
> appears before the images are loaded, right ? I've seen that some
> panoramas have these tiles bigger than others (the cube faces are
> splitted into many squares). I haven't figured out how they do that.
> Guess I need a lot of help :D

I do something similar, but there is no enigma to it: it is just a
level of detail (LOD) tree of tiles at icreasing resolution.

> Hey, I don't know if this makes any sense to you .. just give me
> some directions, a link to a tutorial or just write to me however
> you do this web optimisation. Any help is fully apreciated.

ok,

chris