Sender:Hans Nyberg
Date/Time:2006-Apr-02 12:53:00
Subject:Re: Is Microsoft/EOLAS patent dispute affecting hard coded HTML pages ?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Is Microsoft/EOLAS patent dispute affecting hard coded HTML pages ? Hans Nyberg 2006-Apr-02 12:53:00
On 2/4-2006, at 14.12, wim.koornneef wrote:

> --My HTML
> script-----------------------------------------------------------
>
> <object classid=clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B
> codebase=http://
> www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab height=440 width=700>
> <param name=src value=QT_mediumsize01.mov>
> <param name=controller value=false>
> <param name=kioskmode value=true>
> <embed pluginspage=http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/
> src=QT_mediumsize01.mov type=video/quicktime width=700 height=440
> controller=false kioskmode=true>
> </embed>
> </object>
>

> Should I change something to avoid viewing problems ?

If Windows users use Internet Explorer and if they update with the
patch which will be sent out april 11
or if they use the new IE 7 they will get a popup at the entrance of
each Quicktime Movie or Schockwave page.
They have to first click accept to this popup before they can see the
page.
The effect on other plugins is much less. Flash control activation just
means a double click on the first control used on the flashmovie.

Overview of the patent case.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eolas

To avoid it there are a lot of more or less difficult solutions which
can be used.
In reality none of them will probably solve the problem for the future
unless the people behind this patent, the one man Eolas who is
licensing the patent from University of California, are being stopped
at the last instance. It will take another year until this last appeal
by Microsoft is treated.

I just learned that the Eolas guy Michel Doyle has also filed a patent
in 2000 which seems to cover the workaround with javascript proposed by
Microsoft, Apple, Macromedia, RealMedia etc..

So as you see there is no end. Patents like this has to be stopped.
In meantime tell people to use Firefox (which probably will be the next
target for Eolas if they get through with it)

Hans

Hans Nyberg
commercial photographer
hans nyberg fotografi