Sender:wim.koornneef
Date/Time:2006-Apr-02 15:05:00
Subject:Re: Is Microsoft/EOLAS patent dispute affecting hard coded HTML pages ?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Is Microsoft/EOLAS patent dispute affecting hard coded HTML pages ? wim.koornneef 2006-Apr-02 15:05:00
Hello Hans, thanks for the information.

A lot of the info in the wiki and the linked Microsoft pages are beyond my knowledge.
As far as I can understand the "work around" scripts on the Microsoft info page (linked in
the wiki) all uses a javascript that must be stored in a seperate document.
If I understand it correctly this patent issue also involves the use of Java Applets such as
PTViewer and ImmmerVision to display JPEG based VR panos.

Yesterday I visited a client with problems on his new Windows XP system.
For each of my QT panos, displayed on individual pages, I had to disable the automatic
blocking manually before the pano was loaded and displayed. I searched but I couldn't
found a "overide blocking" option and now I know why ! There is not such an option on the
new IE browsers becasue of the patent issue.

I also noticed that my Java ImmerVison driven panos did load immidiatly without an
additional user action.

As far as I can see there are 3 options to solve this nasty problem for Windows users:

1) To ask visitors to use FireFox
(I doubt if they are willing to download and install FireFox if they not already have this
browser installed)

2) To modify the HTML script of existing pano pages and add an external page with a
javascript that embeds the pano.
(lots of work and perhaps a temporary solution)

3) To skip QuickTimer and switch to Java driven panos with a ImmerVision PurePlayer
applet.
(a fine applet but it only runs fine and smooth on a strong system with lots of memory so
not everyone can use it)

If I go for option 2) there are several javascripts options, I have not a clue what the most
simple and most reliable one is, and how to implement it in an existing page.
Can you advice me ?
Perhaps you have a script example that can replace my own "QT embed" script ?

Regards Wim.