Sender:Hans Nyberg
Date/Time:2006-Apr-02 15:38:00
Subject:Re: Is Microsoft/EOLAS patent dispute affecting hard coded HTML pages ?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Is Microsoft/EOLAS patent dispute affecting hard coded HTML pages ? Hans Nyberg 2006-Apr-02 15:38:00
On 2/4-2006, at 17.05, wim.koornneef wrote:

> Yesterday I visited a client with problems on his new Windows XP
> system.
> For each of my QT panos, displayed on individual pages, I had to
> disable the automatic
> blocking manually before the pano was loaded and displayed. I searched
> but I couldn't
> found a "overide blocking" option and now I know why ! There is not
> such an option on the
> new IE browsers becasue of the patent issue.
>
> I also noticed that my Java ImmerVison driven panos did load
> immidiatly without an
> additional user action.

It looks like your client has downloaded the new Explorer 7 beta which
already now is affected by this.
However there is a large difference.

Only Quicktime and Schockwave gets the problems.
The reason for this is that Explorer 7 comes with default installation
Active X Control disabled.

To see how it affects Java or Flash you have to enable the "Automatic
promting  for ActiveX controls" in the security preferences.

I have not tested the effect on Java yet as I do not have Java
installed in my test setup yet.

There are other hacks to avoid the problems which are not using the
javascript and which are much easier to install for us who do not have
database driven sites and wants to do this in an easier way.
Remember that this is a strictly US patent and mr D can not do anything
against how we solve this.

Hans

Hans Nyberg
commercial photographer