Sender:Robert Agnel
Date/Time:2006-Apr-07 15:33:00
Subject:Re: Panorama Narratives

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Panorama Narratives Robert Agnel 2006-Apr-07 15:33:00
--- In #removed#, "Alex Makienko" <amakien@...> wrote:

> From: "Robert Agnel" <koolpix360@...>
>
> > Great idea Alex
> > hopefully it will get accepted and used by the group
> > for future submissions
>
> Actually the community already used this idea to get WWP pages translated.
> :-)
>
> What I would propose - to have on Edit/Submit page just one extra link to
> the volunteer translators list. This does not require significant
> modifications of the web site. All translations might be done via email.
>
> > I can imagine translators getting confused with GARDENS
> > with English words flower, flour and plant to name a few
> > a plant that grows, or plant your foot, a plant where things are built
> > geeze makes you wonder how English became such a universal language
>
> You're right. I've taken your sentence:
>
> "I can imagine translators getting confused with GARDENS
> with English words flower, flour and plant to name a few
> a plant that grows"
>
> and translated it online to Russian and back. So what I've seen:
>
> "I can imagine translators reaching mixed with GARDENS
> with the English flower of words, flour and factory, to the
> name a few factory which grows"
>
> Honestly, the translation from Russian into English is much more accurate.
> :-D
>
> Sometimes machine-translation is useful when you completely do not know the
> language of the original article. Then you may at least guess what is it
> about - computers or fine art. :-)

TO, TOO, TWO etu Brut?

then factor in different spellings and local customs

Americans drop the 'u's from the correct spelling
of many English words ~ neighbour becomes neighbor
no wonder the machine translators have a hard time making sense

the old adage 'something is better than nothing' may apply
it will always be subject to local interpretations

not to mention the cheque or is that check is in the mail