Sender:Markus Altendorff
Date/Time:2007-Jun-25 20:19:00
Subject:Re: Trouble with large file size in Pano2qtvr

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Trouble with large file size in Pano2qtvr Markus Altendorff 2007-Jun-25 20:19:00
--- In #removed#, "Sean Bickford" <northwest_omnipresence@...> wrote:

> I am not sure if my equirectangular image is within the correct size
> dimensions to be a "true equirect" image, but when I take the image "as
> is" and run it through pano2qtvr using the WWP templates for the small
> and full screen file sizes, I get just a smallish gap in the zenith and
> the nadir is seamless (even though you can see the tripod and my feet
> and half my torso). My only issue is the lack of detail. The QTVR I do
> have of the original 21 MB file is far too large for the WWP
> limitations (at 4.9MB), but the detail is indeed there.

Hi Sean,

the correct size for the equirectangular will always be at a 2:1 ratio, i.e. twice as wide (in
pixels) as it is tall. I'm not sure where the gap in the sky comes from - is this a missing
spot in the series of images you used, or is it caused by a source image not exactly 2:1 in
size? Rescaling to fit this proportion may close the gap.

The fullscreen file currently online has a cube face size of 1908 x 1908 (indicating a
6000x3000 pixels equirect source image?), which is excellent, but it is compressed "to
death" down to 728 kBytes, which results in large compression artefacts (blocky areas in
the clouds), so it should be possible to increase the quality of the JPEG while easily staying
below 3.000.000 bytes. This is something that should be somewhere in the pano2qtvr
settings... can't help you there, sorry (using CubicConverter/Mac myself), but from what
i've seen at the pano2qtvr homepage, it should be the third tab "Settings", with the quality
slider somewhere around 50% for starters. Increase or decrease until the file size fits.

At 1900 pixels cube face size, a 3x3 - 5x5 subdivision makes for smoother playback. You
can leave the window size at "movie properties" aside, since the fullscreen playback will be
scaled in the browser.

-Markus