Sender:Landis
Date/Time:2007-Dec-25 07:21:00
Subject:Re: Why is Caroling Geary singled out?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Why is Caroling Geary singled out? Landis 2007-Dec-25 07:21:00
>Just finished posting my Tribute submission and checking out some of
>the other submissions.  I came across a section called: Artistca
>(non-photographic) in which Caroling's submission was located.

Norman,

Originally we conceived the World Wide Panorama to show panoramas of
physical places around the world.  They have a geographic location
and exist at some place on some continent.  Breaking down everyone's
location into one of the seven traditionally recognized continents
proved to be more difficult than at first anticipated but I think we
did pretty good with the regions that we came up with.

And then, people pushed the boundaries of what we originally
envisioned.  I've always seen this as a Good Thing and truly enjoy
the different interpretations that people come up with for the varied
themes that we choose.  Caroling is not alone in coming up with
contributions that push the boundaries of both the medium and
geography.

So for those that don't fit into any of our regions, where do we put
them?  Do we just leave them out of the region list?  We already
don't show them on the map - after all, where are they?  Then,
thinking about the continents and the regions, we came up with what
we thought was a cute name and thus was born the region of
'Artistica'.

I'm truly sorry that you seem to be offended and assume that we mean
that none of the other geographically based contributions are
artistic.  I certainly don't feel that way.  I assume many, if not
most of us, consider at least some aspect of what we do to be art.  I
know that's what I often strive for.

-Landis