Sender:Landis
Date/Time:2004-Dec-26 19:24:00
Subject:Re: Sound (was: Re: Something new for the WWP)

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Sound (was: Re: Something new for the WWP) Landis 2004-Dec-26 19:24:00
>one thing though that just occured to me as I was editing my page If
>you use a sound file for both pano versions coupled with the popup
>fullscreen you're going to have the sound playing twice: one in the
>background and one in the popup and out of sync for sure... so maybe
>sound ought to be fullscreen only or maybe you have some onblur
>magic script to turn it off in the background ?

Markus has thought this out a bit and done a great job implementing it.

There is nothing we can do about sound on each panorama IF you embed
the sound IN your panorama.  Mickael has done this in a great way by
only playing through his sound once.  Since it doesn't repeat and
it's not very long, it doesn't matter much if you go from viewing his
normal panorama to viewing his fullscreen.

If, however, you embed the sound file separately as Markus as
offered, something can be done about that.  If the viewer goes to
your small panorama first, the sound loads there and plays.  If the
viewer calls the fullscreen from that page - no sound is embedded in
the fullscreen pop up.

However, if the user just goes to the fullscreen panorama from the
index pages, he/she will get sound embedded in the fullscreen pop up.

>one other thing to consider MP4 will yield good results but
>restricted to users of the latest versions of quicktime, using MP3
>will allow for users of QT5 to get it all without the hassle to
>upgrade and I know for sure one participant is QT5 only, makes me
>guess there can be quite a few visitors on dial-up in the same
>viewing conditions.

This is also very true and something that we all have to take into
consideration.  It's ultimately up to you how accesible you want your
content to be.  We try to make this as easy as possible by setting
the standard of using QuickTime content, but try to take this into
account.

Also keep in mind that you want to maintain a reasonable file size.

Finally, please, please, please - don't get us or yourself in trouble
with any copyright issues.  Make sure that your sound is free from
copyright troubles and also that your image in the photographer's
profile is free from copyright issues.

Thanks,
Landis