Sender:Roger D. Williams
Date/Time:2009-Feb-12 01:56:00
Subject:Re: old panoramas new interface...

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: old panoramas new interface... Roger D. Williams 2009-Feb-12 01:56:00
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 07:29:56 +0900, stuart franey
<#removed#> wrote:

> Hi All, I recently put together some old panorama work and am interested
> in comments on the interface and use of sound.
>
> http://www-staff.lboro.ac.uk/~acsf2/panoramas/index.htm

The interface seems quite simple and easy to use. I did encounter some very
sticky images, i.e., ones in which response to mouse click-and-drag was
delayed, or required bigger movements than usual before kicking in. I don't
know what causes this, but it is something you might like to look into. It
does rather spoil the viewing experience when it happens.

If I could make some suggestions, one would be that mouse-overs of the
thumbnails at the foot of the page, used for navigation, might well cause
brief descriptions to show. Many of the images look rather similar at that
size, and it would be nice to know just a little more before having to
select an image. Someone else has already asked where these beautiful
locations are to be found... Alternatively or additionally you could add
a small "info" button to the full-size image that would reveal such
information.

I liked the sound. I was very pleasantly surprised, in fact. Sound
seldom adds much to my panorama viewing experience. Exceptions would
be the buzz of the crowd, the music of Rio de Janeiro carnivals, the
roar of passing cars in motor racing... all more sound effects rather
than music. Your choice of music (and birdsong effects) for pastoral
scenes sounded good to me.

You said you had reworked some old panoramas. I've been doing a bit of
that myself recently (my oldest only dates from four years ago, though).
Have you by now eliminated the severe chromatic aberration that rather
mars some of these photos? This is another thing that tends to reduce
the impact of these lovely scenes.

Roger W.

--
Work: www.adex-japan.com