Sender:Gavin Farrell
Date/Time:2010-Mar-19 17:02:00
Subject:Re: Tucson 2010 Panoramic Exhibition rules

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Tucson 2010 Panoramic Exhibition rules Gavin Farrell 2010-Mar-19 17:02:00
Hey Scott,

Amazing points, and insight into this.

This will be my first IVRPA & IAPP event. It did wonder: how the heck
is anyone going to have time to mount these, and sending large mounted
prints is very expensive indeed -- with no incentive and then to
figure a way to get it home?

There a a track mounting system that sort of emulates an old projector
screen it consist of two very thin metal bars that fold up and are
easy to carry on the plane. You can then put these little plastic
clamps on the top of the Panorama print and the whole thing slides
into the bars.  The top bar hangs to the wall. It's incredible for
portability and setting up large prints on the fly. It's well balanced
so you don't get dimples or wrinkles in the print as it hangs.

All that said it does seem that it would be better served, for all the
photographers submitting work, to present their work digitally.  Much
of the groundbreaking Panoramic photography, like Gigapixel Panos,
loose a lot of their punch when confined to small dimensions,
especially a 43" constraint. I know with much of my work, unless I
make wall size prints, they loose some of their gusto, translating
from the 16 bit monitor master file to a 8 bit print. The organizers
of the conference seem like nice enough people and I would imagine
they're still open to suggestions.

Cheers,

Gavin D Farrell
Panoramic Fine Artist