Sender:Carlos Chegado - www.carloschegado.com
Date/Time:2010-Mar-19 17:25:00
Subject:Re: Tucson 2010 Panoramic Exhibition rules

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Tucson 2010 Panoramic Exhibition rules Carlos Chegado - www.carloschegado.com 2010-Mar-19 17:25:00
Hi Scott,

Thanks, you make some valid points, I will try to explain the rules a
little better.

> First of all, you are asking photographers to incur the expense of
> preparing (and presumably mounting) panoramic prints for your exhibition.
If you have already a print and want to display it, once approved, you
can send the print to us, this is easy for people attending the conference.
If you don't have an actual print or it is impossible for you to send
the print to us, submit your image anyway and specify it as a digital file.
All approved images that exist only in digital file format will be
printed by David Orbock of Full Circle Photo, my co-organizer of the
exhibition.

> Second, there is no potential return for the expense(s) incurred by
> photographers in preparing such prints (such as prizes or any value
> other perhaps than bragging rights).
Yes, this is not intended to be a photo contest. The IAPP and the IVRPA
have their own photo contests. Some of the images from the IAPP photo
contest that already took place will be included in the exhibition. The
IVRPA 2010 Photo Contest will take place after Tucson but in time for
our exhibition at Photokina 2010 (still pending approval of the organizers).
But there will be surprises and I am sure being part of the exhibition
will be great.

> Third, the images have to be delivered to the conference location two
> days prior to the start of the main conference, therefore incurring
> additional travel/lodging for attendees and/or shipping costs for said
> prints in order to make the deadline.
You are right about this, i just changed the rules and extended the
deadline until April 14 at 2pm local time.

> And fourth, Tucson2010 then claims ownership of these prints if
> photographers submitting them do not pick them up after the exhibition
> for any reason.  It is unclear what entity Tucson2010 actually is (is
> it the IVRPA, the IAPP, or some individual's company?).  Certainly
> Tucson2010, as an event, will not be happening again -- a similar even
> organized by the same entities will likely be in a different location
> and/or different year, so it is strange that the Tucson2010 entity is
> claiming ownership of such prints for future exhibitions.

This one is trickier, not I nor the organization want to claim ownership
of anything, but we have to figure out what to do with the prints that
are not collected after the exhibition.
I was told that was standard procedure, but we better clear this matter
in a way that is understandable for everyone.
What will we do with the prints not collected after the exhibition?
We will try our best to return them to the original authors, I will post
more details about this is a solution is found.
Those submitting prints and not being present in Tucson will have to
discuss with us to arrange for a solution to return the prints on a one
by one case.

> Perhaps this Exhibition would be better modeled after previous IQTVRA
> and IVRPA exhibitions, wherein photographers submit digital files of
> their panoramas for printing by the Exhibition, and photographers
> retain full ownership of the works/prints resulting, although these
> remain on loan to the organization for its display until return is
> requested (costs for said return could be negotiated or the
> responsibility of the photographer).
Yes, I guess this is what is intended to happen and the words where
badly chosen. I just amended that part of the rules too, please check it
to see if is OK with you. Note that I am not a native English speaker
and what my head thinks out in Portuguese might not come out from my
fingers to the keyboard in perfect English.

> As we speak about this, I am in the process of trying to secure the
> return of a print of mine on loan to a previous IVRPA conference
> exhibition, and am dismayed to find that its whereabouts are
> undefined, and there's a possibility that it was simply discarded or
> destroyed.
I will try to see what I can do about that, but as you know, I started
my volunteer work in the IVRPA Board of Directors last year and things
are completely different now, I will forward my findings to you.

> These are not mistakes that should be made again.  We need to have a
> high level of respect for the work and intellectual property of the
> authors and creators that both IVRPA and IAPP serve.  That level of
> respect should be maintained through efforts such as an Exhibition of
> Work at a collaborative conference.
The current IVRPA Board of Directors is making sure these things are not
happening again, please understand that we are all volunteers doing our
best for the good of this association, we appreciate all the help we can
get.

> Unfortunately, if the rules persist as currently written, I will be
> unwilling to participate in the Exhibition, and would strongly
> discourage others from doing so, as well.
>
> Thank you.

Scott, I appreciate your comments, and from other too about the Tucson
2010 Panoramic Exhibition, and is only from these comments and
interaction that we can get things sorted out.

I hope I have addressed your questions, if you need anything more,
please say so.

I am still hoping to see you submitting one of your great images to the
exhibition ;-)

Os melhores cumprimentos,
Best regards,

Carlos Chegado

Olho de Peixe Lda
Rua Miguel Pais, 48 - B, 2830-356 Barreiro, Portugal
Tel: (+351) 210 88 91 92, Fax: (+351) 210 88 91 99

|| Skype: carloschegado || facebook.com/carloschegado ||
twitter.com/carloschegado ||

|| Fotografia 360? ?? www.carloschegado.com || www.olhodepeixe.pt ||
www.xprints.com ||

|| 360cities.net/profile/carlos-chegado || ivrpa.org/user/2153 ||