Sender:Scott Rowed
Date/Time:2005-Mar-10 22:22:00
Subject:Re: A panorama usage request?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: A panorama usage request? Scott Rowed 2005-Mar-10 22:22:00
Hi Bob,

There are certainly a few questions I would ask before giving
permission.

1. What exactly is his project? Is it commercial or a non-profit
society? If it's a charity you may take a different approach than if
this gentleman is making money on it. Also make sure you agree with
the goals of the organization and are happy to have your name
associated with it.
2. How many copies are being produced? When you get the answer to
this make sure you stipulate that the usage rights are limited to
that exact project for a specific number of copies.
3. Find out exactly how the pano will be used in the project - what
size, what location etc. This is to determine the importance of your
pano in the overall project.

Personally, I've allowed charities to use my photography at no
charge when I'm in full agreement with their philosophy and goals.
Commercial ventures have to pay and the amount depends on the nature
of the use. I just don't think it's reasonable for companies to
expect photography at no charge. They know they have to pay other
costs associated with their product whether it's printing, wages,
web hosting etc. Why do they single out photography to be the one
component that they "can't afford to pay for"? Photo credits aren't
good enough - I can't use photo credits to pay for a mortgage,
cameras, computers, vehicle, food, insurance, or my kids' skiing and
gymnastics programs.

That said, I need to mention that there have been numerous times
when a company or organization has asked for images for free, but
I've taken the time to educate them, with the result that they have
purchased image usage from me. Just being nice goes a long ways here
and has resulted in some long-term business relationships.

That's my perspective as a professional photographer. If you are an
amateur your approach will be different, but just make sure you're
comfortable with providing your creativity for free so someone else
can make money on it.

Scott Rowed