Sender:Landis
Date/Time:2005-Oct-27 23:08:00
Subject:Kiosk mode resolution

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Kiosk mode resolution Landis 2005-Oct-27 23:08:00
OK, the poll got about 60 votes and it's pretty much split down the
middle.  So here's what we're going to do.  We'll remove the kiosk
mode line.

Since it wasn't there for all the other events, everyone who's
participated in the past already knew how we'd be publishing their
QTVR files.  Those of you who wanted to stop people from saving them
have made your files 'save-disabled'.

 From Don's recent recap:
>Kiosk mode is a simple and not very effective sort of protection. It
>doesn't take hacking or special software to grab a pano off a kisokmode
>protected page - just change the url of the page holding the pano, to
>the url of the pano itself. Anyone who knows a little html can figure
>this out.

This actually holds true for 'save-disabled' files as well, but it
makes it so the person who downloads your file can't change it and
save it again.

In the future if you don't want to allow people (with QT Player Pro)
to save your QTVR files using that menu in the bottom right, you
should make your file 'save-disabled'.  I have verified that this is
possible with PanoCube and Pano2QTVR on Windows and Plug-In helper or
VRPrep on MacOS.  Those of you who wish to allow your files to be
easily downloaded can continue doing as you've been doing.

Personally I don't make my files 'save-disabled' but I do make sure
to put my contact info in the attributes and a tripod cap or other
water marking is a very good idea in general.

-Landis