Sender:northwest_omnipresence
Date/Time:2006-Mar-21 20:02:00
Subject:Re: frustrated with file sizes and image quality

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: frustrated with file sizes and image quality northwest_omnipresence 2006-Mar-21 20:02:00
--- In #removed#, "northwest_omnipresence"
<northwest_omnipresence@...> wrote:

> > I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. I use PTGui to stitch
my
> > panoramas, and as far as I know PTGui can not create the QTVR
file
> > Regards,
> > Ingemar Bergmark
> >

> My mistake, I am not at home and could not recall the name of the
> software I use to convert the image to qtvr. Yes, I do use
Pano2QTVR.
> I was confused because all i could remember was that the software
was
> part of the Thomas Rauscher panotools package.
>
> Sean.

Shock! Gasp! Oh the Horror!

I do not use a SLR camera. I do not use a wide angle lens. For this
event (the third I have participated in) I did not even use a tripod.
I do not use a nodal point tripod mount.

I use a point and shoot camera!

The dimensions of my photos are much much wider than anything you
professional SLR photographers have suggested. Worse than that, my
camera is unable to shoot in RAW data formats such as TIFF (at least
as far as i have been able to determine), so my stitched images come
from a dozen JPG files. Working from JPG to TIFF presents a number of
problems so i work from a JPG cylindrical image and convert that into
the QT MOV file using Pano2QTVR. So far, the process has worked
amazingly well. My biggest concern (from a technical viewpoint) is
the effect of vignetting due to the small lens in my Nikon Coolpix
3700. The effect is somewhat reduced if I turn the camera vertically
on my tripod (when I do use one).

It is with a twinge of envy that I look at my fellow WWP
participant's photographs and see the full cubic results (full
circle, in addition to full vertical rotation), but I remind myself
that I represent the most amature level with pride. I am working
towards purchasing my first digital SLR, though it is difficult with
student loans, rent and bills and entry level job wages to justify
such a purchase. The WWP (and its predecessor Wrinkle in Time) are
about inclusiveness and I am very grateful for this. I believe that
based on my own experience with VR photography, anyone can take the
photos using any form of a digital camera. If we want to discuss the
quality of resolution, I am sure Mr. Graham Flint of
http://www.gigapxl.org would be great to quote.