Sender:northwest_omnipresence
Date/Time:2006-Jul-01 14:40:00
Subject:Re: file size and a significant loss of resolution

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: file size and a significant loss of resolution northwest_omnipresence 2006-Jul-01 14:40:00
--- In #removed#, Markus Altendorff <yahoo.mail@...> wrote:

> Hi Sean,
>
> do you run the original high-res file through your QTVR
> converter? I couldn't find the step of "make a resized copy
> and create the QTVR from that" - which may be the reason why
> it didn't work out for you? Using a 32 MB JPEG as source
> requires both a lot of computation on the visitor's machine
> and quite low quality in the compression to reach the target
> sizes.

Hi Markus,

My own workflow starts in the point and shooter Nikon coolpix 3700
1) for best image i choose the highest resolution since it only
records jpgs - so a 3mb image. I take 12, but as Bo recently suggested
when he saw the images, I should turn the camera sideways on the
tripod (which would mean more individual shots).

2) I use ArcSoft's Panorama Maker version 3.0. Its older than the
current v4.1 they have out, but it offers me fine tuning control over
stitching individual images using triangulation control points, I have
read reviews of others who detest it, but I dont mind so much.

3) The output from Arcsoft is a jpg that lists alternately at 4.2MB
(although Adobe as well as my printer queue says the image is 32 MB)
which is where i get this information from.

4) I use either Jasc's Paintshop pro, or Adobe's Photoshop or Adobe's
Image Ready to resize the output file from Arcsoft. I take that 4.2 MB
image and resize the image to 30% of the original.

5) *Then* i send it through Pano2qtvr to create the mov file. If I
send a non-optimized 4.2 mb jpeg through, I end up with a 6.2 MB mov
file which is crystal clear, but too large for the WWP. 30% reduction
in size to a jpeg is an awful reduction, but the camera wont use any
raw image formats, and it is the only way to make the mov file fit for
WWP. The jpeg is 420 kb at that size. The mov file is 500 kb.

6) Curiously, the latest version of pano2qtvr would not allow me to
"spot in qtvr" without crashing. So I guessed at the Pan/Tilt/FoV.
Punch in a range of values, create and open movie, review, delete
movie, enter new values, repeat, repeat, etc...