Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2006-Oct-31 18:13:00
Subject:Re: panocube for mac ....

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: panocube for mac .... Roger Howard 2006-Oct-31 18:13:00
On Tue, October 31, 2006 6:38 am, - AYRTON AVI - wrote:
> Sorry Andrew you really need to rethink about your values ...
> "annoying aqua interfaces " ???

Look, this is a matter of defining the users requirements - Andrew's
approach has its use in some workflows, and is not useful in others. What
we don't know is this user's expectations, so I wouldn't discount the
value of a streamlined approach like Andrew suggests, but if I were Andrew
I wouldn't discount the value of a graphical interface to many users too.

If I just want to convert an equirect in one step, without an interactive
interface to control settings, then PanoCubePlus sounds like the way to go
- for automated workflow. But as soon as the user needs to customize
things on a per pano basis - whether it's the initial view state, the
compression settings, etc - then they need a configuration interface. And
I know many users would not consider a command line or batch file a
superior interface for controlling the final appearance of visual content.

So we end up with a tool like CubicConverter that provides that graphical
interface to setup your equirect-to-cubic-VR conversion for those users.

These are two very different sets of user needs; there's room for both,
but it does no one any good to pretend one way is better. They are simply
not comparable.

So yes, PanoCubePlus for OSX when it's ready sounds like a great tool when
you don't need per-pano intervention. If you do, then the best thing I
know of on OSX is CubicConverter, as already mentioned.

And if you don't want to spend any money and aren't too picky, there's
always Apple's aging MakeCubic.

-Rh

PS, I think this, like many threads, would be more useful on another list.