Sender:Wheaton, Simon
Date/Time:2007-Jan-04 22:02:00
Subject:Re: Comments

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Comments Wheaton, Simon 2007-Jan-04 22:02:00
Pat, I have read all the comments.

It's not about whether they agree or disagree with me, it's what their disagreement is based on.

Victor, like others, thinks that having comments will turn it into a competition. I don't see that at all. I really think that is part of the anti-comment hysteria.

Everyone else is saying things like...
- it will be too much work to moderate (it can be self-moderated)
- contributors will have to constantly check back (have automated emails when comments are received)
- it is already too clutered with technical info most are not interested in (nope, don't see that either, the Equipment section is the only technical info on there, and most contributors do a very poor job of that section anyway)
- people are worried they will be critisized publicly (I don't think there will be many negative comments, if there are, take it as constructive critisism and get over it)
- comment on the WWP list (that's fine for contributors, but the audience is wider than that, and comments do not then appear along with the pano)
- it changes the mentality of the event (umm, nope, do not agree at all)
- it takes the viewers time away from looking at the panos (I don't think there would be many comments per pano, and that it would take much time away from looking at the pano in comparison to the time already taken reading the description and other information already on there)
- the other VR sites do not have comments (so why shouldn't WWP, we do not have to be exactly like all the other VR sites)
- it will turn the event into a 'forum-free-for-all' (I don't see how a comment section would make it a 'forum-free-for-all')
- once implemented it could not be taken away (it can be easily taken away if it doesn't work out)

In my opinion most people here are getting hysterical about it and not considering how it could be made to work.

Simon
Canberra
AUSTRALIA