Sender:Hans Nyberg
Date/Time:2007-Mar-23 20:35:00
Subject:Re: Spherical (or cubic) Panorama without FisshEye possible ?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Spherical (or cubic) Panorama without FisshEye possible ? Hans Nyberg 2007-Mar-23 20:35:00
On Mar 23, 2007, at 5:09 PM, trebosc_david wrote:
> I read in this page
> http://www.panoguide.com/howto/panoramas/spherical.jsp
>
> that "To make Up and Down pictures" ... "In practice this is almost
> impossible without a fisheye lens".
>
> I use a simple Canon Ixus 60. Do you think I can make Up or Down like
> this :
> - make a lot of pictures of the top (trying to shot 180?)
> - use Autostich to make one
>
> Don't want to lost time if it's impossible :-(

Hi David

Why do sphericals when a cylindric is better.

With your IXUS you have the equivalent of a 35 mm lens.
You get a vertical field of view of 54 degrees  when you take images
in portrait.
And you need 12-14 images for a cylindric panorama.

I introduced Fullscreen QTVR  (call it invented if you like)  in 2002.
my site Panoramas.dk has 10.000 visits  a day.

Which one is the most popular?

The Mount Everest made in 1989  with an old Widelux cameras and with
a vertical view of 45 degrees.
It has been seen by  more than 1.300.000 during the last 4 years.

Spherical panoramas are not always the right thing.
This is one I made in 2002 with my first digital camera.
http://www.panoramas.dk/fullscreen/fullscreen28.html

An Olympus 2500 - 2.5 megapixel
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc2500l/
I took 16-18 images for this panorama and besides this I also took a
lot of images with my Pentax 35mm and a fisheye.
However I chosed the cylindric instead as I found that it showed the
event much better than a spherical,

It could easy been made with the IXUS 60. THe lens  is the same in
wideangle.

Its not about  the techniics you do your panorama. Your content is
the important and it is  much easier to do a good panorama as a
cylindric.

Here are a couple of other cylindric.
Don Bains from Mount Whitney
http://www.panoramas.dk/fullscreen/fullscreen18.html

Bostjan Burgers from Dalai Lama visit
http://www.panoramas.dk/fullscreen/fullscreen31.html

Ray Broussard's Mardis Gras
http://www.panoramas.dk/fullscreen2/full31a.html

And at last Helmut K?lbach's Hannover Panorama which you can look at
again and again and still find new interesting parts in.
http://www.panoramas.dk/fullscreen2/full29.html

Hans

Hans Nyberg
Panoramas.dk<http://www.panoramas.dk>  Features Fullscreen QTVR from