Sender:Brian - Four Plus Four
Date/Time:2004-Jul-26 16:41:00
Subject:Re: Panoramas with Nikon D70 (or other SLR)

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Panoramas with Nikon D70 (or other SLR) Brian - Four Plus Four 2004-Jul-26 16:41:00
Rolf

Perhaps your enquiry would be better placed on the QuickTime List

	http://www.lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/quicktime-vr

However, as you are here, I can share some of my experiences.

I use a D100 and a 10.5 fisheye lens.
The key to panoramas, especially when you have to take many pictures
(you don't mention which lens you are using) is to keep as many
'variables' fixed.
Lock the white balance - use manual exposure, using the same aperture,
fixed for the entire row, use manual focus.
I normally meter at 90 degrees to the sun

I then use Nikon Capture software to process the entire series of
images. As they were 'fixed' to start with they should also be
consistent when they are batch processed to adjust colour balance,
focus etc

I always shoot in Nikon RAW format as it allows much more manipulation
after the shoot. Also you don't loose quality
You will need to sharpen the image prior to making the final VR as
sharpening is turned off in RAW

You can download a time limited copy of Nikon Capture from Nikon

Obviously - it is very important to make sure your 'nodal point' is
correct especially if you have items close to the camera.
If you are starting out, avoid scenes with trees and water as  their
movement will make stitching more difficult
Scenes with buildings all around are a good starting point

You don't mention the computer platform you use
I use a Mac and find PTMac and Xblend (www.kekus.com) to give good
results
Stitcher can be great when it stitches - but relies on manual alignment
when it can't

Hope this helps

Brian