Sender:Michael
Date/Time:2008-May-28 22:35:00
Subject:Re: Forwarded message from Globorama

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Forwarded message from Globorama Michael 2008-May-28 22:35:00
Hello fellow wwp-panographers,

I apologizse for joining so late into this discussion and I'm afraid
there might be some ZKM postings which I didn't read carefully enough.

Let me begin with this clip from the main page of the WWP:

"All images will be copyright by the individual photographers. Use in
any way other than viewing on this web site is prohibited unless
permission is obtained from the relevant photographer. The overall
site is copyright by the Regents of the University of California."

It should be clear to ANYBODY, may it be a layman in copyright issues,
pros from media agencies or employees at university departments that
what had happened was illegal. Asking the WWP organisers for their ok
to use the panoramas is in vain, since it is the individual
photographers, which hold the copyright. Yet one could ask the
organisers for assistance to promote this project and to contact the
individual photogaphers. This was not done. Anyhow, most - if not any
- of the photographers can be reached by the displayed contact info in
connection with the panorama contributions. The ZKM people had done a
certain effort to keep the photographers name related to the panorama.
Thank you for that. But little more had been needed to get the
photographers consent to use the images. This was not done. Now we
receive a statement which only reveals half of the story. Having
noticed this trouble (obviously months ago already), a straightforward
information to all of the contributers would have helped a lot to
regain confidence into this project and the people behind. This was
not done. The next reasonable step to do - as stated by others already
- is to give us a full list of photographers which you have taken the
panoramas from. From what I could see in the video, zooming in into
the Paris region or Japan revealed LOTS of spots and I have to assume
that this is true for Berlin as well. At least 2 of my own
contributions had been indoor shootings with permission to use the
panoramas for the WWP project only. Showing them in public - even for
a limited time - could end up in court: for me, not the ZKM. So to get
all this fixed I would say it would be really nice:

if the ZKM would be so kind to tell us all about the periods of past,
present and future use and the means of usage,
if the ZKM was willing to prove which photograpers and panoramas are
involved
if the ZKM could offer some kind of compensation for this past illegal
use and
if the ZKM would agree into regular terms of use for a possible legal
future integration into this project.

I think it is clearly the ZKM turn to take action. If we the
photographers have to act, I would guess this will be desastrous for
the ZKM (not saying that the photographers would benefit from that).

The WWP is a non profit making project and I guess nobody contributing
to it does this with a commercial intention. On the other hand I'm
pretty sure, nobody contributing to it does want his or her work to be
hijacked for some unknown purpose, nor does anybody wants to be taken
for a ride with statements which reveal only a part of the truth.

Yours,
Michael

--- In #removed#, "Markus Altendorff" <panoramas_de@...> wrote:

> Due to the back-and-forth of, and some delay in the WWP registration
process, the
> message from Globorama was sent to the admins, with a request to
forward it to the list.
> To the best of my knowledge, Mr. Lintermann should by now be able to
send/receive from
> the list, too.
>
> Below is the forwarded original message.
>
> Careful with the reply button. That's my mail address up there in
the header ;)

> -Markus

Globorama