Sender:Erik Krause
Date/Time:2008-Sep-07 18:55:00
Subject:Re: how best to work out the number of shots for a 360 pano?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: how best to work out the number of shots for a 360 pano? Erik Krause 2008-Sep-07 18:55:00
On Sunday, September 07, 2008 at 10:43, chris wrote:

> I have a 10-22m EFS lens I use on a Canon 450D. What is a good number
> of shots per row / number of rows to cover a 360 pano? I'm not sure how
> best to work this out, for starters, i don't know what overlap is
> generally best for stitching.

Ok, 10mm rectilinear on a crop faktor 1.5 camera has about 100?x77?
angle of view. With 20% overlap you need at least 6 images around in
portrait mode to cover 360? arranged in three rows. However, I would
shoot one row 40? down, one row 40? up plus zenith and nadir shot.

But best is, you take an arbitrary image shot at 10mm, load it
multiple times in your favourite stitcher app and arrange them
manually such, that they cover the whole sphere to get a feeling how
the images overlap...

best regards
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de