Sender:Alex Makienko
Date/Time:2009-May-11 02:07:00
Subject:Re: Nikon 2.8/10,5 Sigma 3.5/8 or Tokina 10-17 ?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Nikon 2.8/10,5 Sigma 3.5/8 or Tokina 10-17 ? Alex Makienko 2009-May-11 02:07:00
Hans,

No doubt you beat me in photography. I respect your great experience and highest skills, but I do not think I am so unqualified to be explained that a lens has to be crisp and clean to get a good picture. Please do not advise me also to wash my hands before supper, I used to do it since being a kid... :-)

About the flare shape we may discuss it in details off-list if you wish. Being a professional scientist and engineer for years I think I understand something about optics. I repeat - grease and fingerprints cause light diffraction which may slightly change the brightness of the flare but CANNOT PRODUCE a flare (I'll say a few words about your example below). Flare is caused by internal REFLECTION and is higher if some neighbor surfaces facing each other have close radiuses. In this case light beam may reflect many times between these surfaces and may even gain. That's why, by the way, regular rectilinear lenses ALWAYS have more flares than fisheyes, because components which fisheye consists of have more highly curved surfaces than components of rectilinear lenses. Nikkor 10.5 was designed to be a sharp lens and less vignetting than its competitors. But in optics nobody can win in everything. The result is that the optical scheme of Nikkor has more components with neighboring elements w

Regarding your example - yes, it is the case small particles of dust or waterdrops on the front lens surface may cause an effect which may look like flare. But it is absolutely not correct to call it "flares". These spots are IMAGES of dust particles / water drops but NOT flares. The term "flare" has absolutely clear definition - it is a parasitic spot caused by an INTERNAL reflection in the complicated optical device.

Let us be more precise in using optical terms, these terms are well-defined for more than a century.

I apologize for off-theme. Anyone who would like to continue this discussion please feel free to contact me off-list.

With all possible respectation to everyone,
Alex Makienko