Sender:Keith Martin
Date/Time:2009-Sep-01 08:12:00
Subject:Re: Possible panos for performing arts

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Possible panos for performing arts Keith Martin 2009-Sep-01 08:12:00
>  > I keep thinking that this one could be buying a used car,
>
>The buyer isn't performing, the seller is.

Heh. I've seen buyers (of other things, I don't sell cars of course)
who've been acting their hearts out! :-) But for me it'd be the whole
thing, buyer and seller combined.

>  > being in audience of sports event cheering,
>
>They're not performing

They are if they're dressed up in daft costumes or plastered with
team colours makeup, mugging for the TV cameras. (And a social
anthropologist would probably argue that that kind of crowd behaviour
includes aspects of performance... ;-)

>  > or even winning at bingo.
>
>There's no performance anyplace in a bingo hall except for someone who
>wins and makes a big deal out of it

'Zactly: winning at bingo. Could be serious performance there! I've
never actually played bingo so I couldn't say for sure, but I can
imagine people can get pretty triumphant.

The way the theme Performing Arts, which can include "Performance",
has been presented is as a highly inclusive concept. To put it in a
dull-but-complete way it covers any and all situations where someone
alters how they they might ordinarily do something (or where someone
does it in the first place) because of others that are or might be
watching.

Pat's essay - which can be found at
http://worldwidepanorama.org/worldwidepanorama/wwp/practical/NextEvent.h...
- offers a goodly number of suggestions, but remember that it is
meant as a starting point and as inspiration.