Sender:Keith Martin
Date/Time:2009-Sep-01 17:25:00
Subject:Re: Possible panos for performing arts

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Possible panos for performing arts Keith Martin 2009-Sep-01 17:25:00
Sometime around 1/9/09 (at 15:39 +0000) erwinsmarfingerfeulcher said:

>I'd really appreciate ideas that I can develop out to suit me, or
>that will inspire me to perhaps say "That doesn't work for me, but
>it suggests X which I think will work..."

Of course! Pat's ideas were intended as starting points, but there
are many, many other possible things you could consider as well.

ANY kind of scenario where a person or multiple people do or show
something for the benefit of others can be considered a kind of
performance. And in the broad sense, performance is a kind of art
form... hence "Performing Arts". The term isn't meant to be
restrictive at all, more inspirational and eye-opening. I think your
ideas could certainly be used effectively! Just keep the theme,
Performing Arts, in mind; that's the key.

Any further ideas? Hmm...

How about skateboarders grinding on steps or street furniture?
Especially if there are people (general public, other skaters,
whoever) standing around and watching.

Do you know of street markets where vendors bellow out their pitches,
trying to tempt punters to buy their goods?

How about the more dodgy street trader who sets up in a flash and
disappears just as quickly when someone official shows up? You might
get an earful of abuse, but if you're quick you might catch something
fascinating. (And as a bonus it might be usable in a court of law! ;-)

Gaggles of girls done up to the nines and angling to get into a club?

Buskers giving performances to try and get spare change from passers-by?

Beggars? Again, you might get verbally abused - although pretending
to be a whacky tourist and giving them a few pounds/dollars/euros
might do the trick. You'll often see quite a performance there.

Church services? I don't mean to start any faith-based arguments, but
many different denominations and faiths have rituals and traditions
that are definitely kinds of performances, even if those involved
don't specifically do it for that reason. If art is in the eye of the
beholder, so is performing arts... just try to make it comprehensible
if you can! ;-)
If you talk openly to the church/etc. leaders and ask if you can take
some photos at an appropriate point, you may well find yourself
positively welcomed in. Don't forget to offer them shots for their
publicity if they want it - that's only fair, of course. :-)

What about performers taking a breather from their actual
performances? A good friend of my parents took a stunning series of
photos of the original Rocky Horror Show London theatrical
performances in 1973, capturing the actors, stage hands, directors
and others in candid shots. From memory, none were of the performance
itself, but they all give an incredible feel of those particular
people and of the weird, addictive life behind the scenes in theater
productions. No performances taking place in the photos, but an
awe-inspiring record of that whole Performing Arts event and people.

Political rallies? Union rallies? Meetings of various kinds - just
keep in mind that the idea is to capture the performers rather than
just spectators. Although it CAN be very effective to show the power
of a performance through its effects on those seeing it rather than
literally through capturing the performance itself.

What can be equally fascinating is going the other way into this
theme; look at the *places* where performances happen. Pat is
particularly keen on people photography, but it can be perfectly
justifiable to look at the venues where performances/performing arts
take place.
This could be looking at the detritus left behind after a gig, a
play, or some kind of meeting.
It could be the peculiar architecture of venues designed or modified
for performance purposes.
It could be the tons of kit being brought in or being taken away, the
kit that supports the actual performing arts event itself.

>If that's asking too much I apologize for the intrusion.

Please, don't worry about it! Let us know your thoughts, please. That
goes for us all too. What thoughts are people having about the latest
theme, now that we're just a few weeks away from the shooting period?