Sender:Keith Martin
Date/Time:2010-Feb-26 20:45:00
Subject:Re: question re: download of panoramatic images in flash

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: question re: download of panoramatic images in flash Keith Martin 2010-Feb-26 20:45:00
  > it is ILLEGAL do download files from other photographers without their
  > consent

That is well worth considering. Although (partly as I'm in full lecturer mode, between two classes at college) it should be noted that the simple act of viewing a web page downloads the content to your machine. That *has* to happen in order to see the page contents. And the browser cache keeps the contents on your machine...

The question of whether it is illegal to save something from a web page, therefore, is an interesting one. It cannot be tied simply to the idea of downloading or even the basic mechanical process of storing, as that is a defacto functional requirement and behaviour of every web browser. It is also not illegal to 'save a page' in various formats, including as a complete local archive that contains the various page elements. (Although that won't include content that's only referenced by Flash or XML.)

I'm not arguing that people should go around downloading whatever they want, I'm just noting the details and thinking my way through a few points. This is something that's not entirely sorted out yet - which is why it raised my academic interest.