Sender:Landis
Date/Time:2004-Sep-24 02:07:00
Subject:OT Re: Recommended GPS

wwp@yahoogroups.com: OT Re: Recommended GPS Landis 2004-Sep-24 02:07:00
I'm pretty big into GPSr's myself.  I use them quite a bit in making
trail maps, getting coordinates for all my panos, and also
participating in a little thing called geocaching
(http://www.geocaching.com).

The best GPS is the one that feels comfortable to use for you.
You'll find the Garmin/Magellan split to be the same as the
Nikon/Canon split or even the Windows/Mac divide.  Careful when
asking about benefits of one over the other.

A good place for a great deal of information on GPSr's is the
geocaching forums (http://forums.groundspeak.com/).  There are people
there who know WAY too much about these things.

That said, I suggest you head to your local outfitters store and hold
a couple of these models in your hand.  Turn 'em on.  Go through the
menus.

I own a Magellan 315 which was really cheap and works great, as well
as a Garmin eTrex Summit (mounts on my bike handlebars).  Upgrading
for me would probably be along the Garmin line, but I have nothing
against Magellan.

Personally, I'd start out with a fairly cheap model of whatever
(maybe on eBay).  That way you'd learn what it is like, what features
you like, what you don't.  Once you've used one for a while, you'll
figure out what's important and then you'll know what model you want
to spend a couple hundred bucks on.

Good luck.

-Landis