Sender:Fulvio Senore
Date/Time:2004-Sep-24 20:44:00
Subject:Re: stories, please

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: stories, please Fulvio Senore 2004-Sep-24 20:44:00
Here's my story.

I planned to shoot a viaduct of the mountain highway that crosses the Alps joining Italy and France through the Frejus Tunnel. It's a twin viaduct, very tall, rather long and the road bends too: very spectacular indeed.

Last week I went there, I looked for good viewpoints and I found some good ones. Not easy to find since it is on the side of a mountain so I had to walk a little.

So everything was ready for the shoot, I only had to wait for good weather: the forecasts said that the right day was tuesday (september 21).

Last sunday (september 19) I went with my family to a mountain lake in a nearby valley. It's not far from my home, but I had never been there before since it's a small, steep and little known valley. I was driving along the road when my wife cried: "look at that bridge!": there was a narrow ancient bridge crossing the river and I did not see it since I was driving. It is a narrow bridge (a little more than 1 meter), it looked very old and it was  nice and rather strange, paved with round stones and clearly designed only for people and animals (no carts since it is too narrow).

I did not have a tripod with me and the light was not very good but I really liked the bridge so I shooted a pano handheld, just to see the result. Later I did some searches and discovered that it is a famous bridge: it was built in 1477 and it is a typical example of medieval bridge architecture.

On tuesday I went to the viaduct and I shooted three panos from different viewpoints. I really like one, taken from a low viewpoint, where the viaduct shows almost abstract lines.

In the meantime I stitched the medieval bridge pano and the result was better than I expected, so I started to think that I could send that pano to the WWP. I asked to my family and everybody agreed: the pano of the highway viaduct is a really good one, but that bridge could be everywhere. On the other side it seems that in Italy there are only three medieval bridges of that kind, so we decided to submit that pano: at least people around the world will see something different from what they can see near their homes.

It's really curious like a casual family trip has led me to that bridge just in the right moment... and now I have all that viaduct panos and don't know what to do with them :-)

Fulvio Senore