Sender:Bostjan Burger
Date/Time:2012-Jul-12 11:20:00
Subject:Re: It's the next best thing to being there!

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: It's the next best thing to being there! Bostjan Burger 2012-Jul-12 11:20:00
VRP is abbreviation for Virtual Reality Panorama. As you most probably know there is a lot of confusion how to name "Virtual Reality Panorama". It seems that in English panorama is 360° image (photography, drawing, DMR ...), flat indeed. As an example in my language (Slovenian) panorama is every wide angle image which presents landscape - it can not be panorama of the room, cave, ... sounds so funny in my language, I suppose it is same with German as the language logic-gramar are very similar. The projection procedure makes panorama (which is a "print" media a "Virtual Reality Panorama" which is displayed on the screen. Indeed VRP is not 3D. When I started with panography I needed to get a name in my native language for that new media and I started with "surround photography" (if translated literally to English) if the base was panoramic photo or surround image if the base was drawing, painting or DMR.
I wrote some academic papers last decade of the use of VRP when documenting geography, mostly documenting caves and I needed to be specific what is a difference between flat panorama for printing and what is the "immersive version", that is Virtual Reality Panorama or VRP. I sometimes use not full (partial) 360° panoramas for a base to transform into VRPs so I prefer use of Virtual Reality Panorama. As it seems that VRP is obsolete term as there is not real much of "virtual reality" - only kind of effect, I am starting to use the literally translation from Slovene to English which is "Surround Photography" and to be more clear add 360° (when the base for the projection was 360° panroama): http://www.zivljenjenadotik.si/en/projects/surround-photography/

:) Bostjan