Sender:Bostjan Burger
Date/Time:2013-Feb-14 22:27:00
Subject:Re: quo vadis WWP?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: quo vadis WWP? Bostjan Burger 2013-Feb-14 22:27:00
It was year
2011 and I claimed that I will never use Facebook. But it happened June 2011
and I was in troubles with government (panoramas and privacy?). The FB profile
to discuss the »privacy« topic was created and I was somehow forced to create
my personal FB profile to join with my side of the story. I deleted my profile
in October 2011 but then I found that I am on Yahoo list with very limited
access to news, so I created a new personal FB profile and G+ in fall 2012. I
barely use Yahoo list now? mostly »by a duty« to check WWP list and answer if necessary?
It is not easy to check all lists and accounts to be prompt. So I am pragmatic
and decided to follow the mainstream which is right now with FB page of
Panoramic Photographers. It is nothing »political« to me but only a gathering
place.

About the WWP
site? I passed the site in detail with different devices. In general the site
is with very good organization and logic? but that was my logic as retired
programmer and someone who is with 20 years of use of internet. I am still able
to concentrate to the structure of the page and details with the links but I am
sure that new generations of internet users are much less patient and more
shallow and that became a mainstream, less use of brains (N.Carr, The Shallows,
2010) and reading the text and seeking for more instant information.

The fact is
that WWP site is conservative, but that is not bad at all. We are changing the
technology but let it be step by step. In 2004 when WWP started the QTVR was a
leader and »the king«, only three years later flash players became quite
acceptable to display surround photography and after two additional years flash
was the new king ? QTVR was (almost) dead. Flash is still the best player (is
it?) but new gadgets appeared as iPad which doesn't support flash, and even
less than 3% of devices in »Developed World« (don't ask me what is developed
World) are "iDevices" or less than 0.5% of world wide internet
devices it is a time to start with the html5 support ? but what about android
devices which are with very poor html5 support and are x-times more popular
than iDevices?? When we will get the solution we will implement it, surely.

Maybe it is
not the best very first step to redesign the website which but the step to
connect WWP with the social media ? just to say that I found that e-mails
become obsolete, young people (and caught myself too) are sending messages
mostly via the FB or other social plug-in. The internet is changing
dramatically and, again ? it seems that is not bad idea to be conservative at
the moment ;)

Bo?tjan

________________________________
Von:  Carlos Chegado Lists #removed#>
Antworten an: #removed#>
Datum:  Donnerstag, 14. Februar 2013, Woche 07 17:21
An: #removed#>
Betreff:  Re: quo vadis WWP?

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:14 AM, CTR #removed#
> wrote:

> 3. Personally I would like to have "Like Buttons" on the page of each
> pano. When I am linking new WWP-panos in Facebook, I can not choose a
> fingerprint of my pano as image. This can easily be overcome by adding the
> appropriate og-tags.

Dear Carsten, you make some very valuable points, but I am curious to know
how are this people who won't login to Facebook hit those like buttons?
Have you tried hitting one of the gazillion like buttons that are spread
all over the internet wish you're not logged in to Facebook?
You are asked to login. If you don't have an account, no go!

Yep, it's a big PIA weather you like it or not ;-)

My best regards
Os melhores cumprimentos