Sender:kw_japan2004
Date/Time:2004-Apr-08 02:37:00
Subject:Re: advice please on resolution/size problems

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: advice please on resolution/size problems kw_japan2004 2004-Apr-08 02:37:00
I used Panocube to generate my .MOV file and used the script.txt to
vary the settings until my movie was under the required size... uses
Panotools to generate the MOV so you first have to teach it where
PTStitcher is...

http://www.panoshow.com/panocube.htm

Original input image for the small movie was 5000x2500 pixels (2000Kb
JPEG)and final movie size was 690Kb... Fullscreen was 10000x5000
(8600Kb JPEG) and movie size was 2129Kb... I think the quality of
each image is acceptable though on the FS version you can see JPEG
artifacts if you zoom in too much... esp in the sky around the
towers... you should be able to achieve better results than you
have...

http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/html/KeithWILSON.html

A couple of other things I would suggest...
1. Try using the Auto Contrast / Brightness option from PTGui... may
help to balance your images
2. Output a Photoshop layered file and try to manually correct any
really visible seams... I had to do this to remove some people from
my pano
3. Your pano seems to have a lot of embedded Hotspots which may be
affecting your filesize...  have no idea how VRMakepano works... the
hotspots don't seem right to me...

If you are still having difficulties... I'm sure there are many
people who can help... maybe post your images somewhere for us to
have a play... good luck

Congrats to Landis and Don for a great effort... and fantastic images
from everyone...

Cheers

Keith

--- In #removed#, chris <#removed#> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I used Windows tools to make my pano PT, PTGUI, VRMakePano.
> My (Dwellingup, Western Australia) pano was generated from 12
shots - my
> camera cybershot has a poor angle of view and no special lense.  I
had
> to shrink the original file size of the panorama image (5MB 14474 x
> 1024) generated by PTGUI to 40%  otherwise it produced a very
large .MOV
> file.  In fact I had to reduce it to 50% before VRMakePano even
would
> work.  The pano for the wwp page had to be 20% do be under 700k and
the
> result is poor resolution.
>
> VRMakePano asks for two images and PTGUI only generates one - so I
have
> to give it the same image twice - I don't know if that is doubling
the
> size of the generated files or not - there is no  doc with
VRMakepano at