Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2004-Jul-29 17:13:00
Subject:Re: Mouth to Source | Water is the one

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Mouth to Source | Water is the one Roger Howard 2004-Jul-29 17:13:00
On Jul 28, 2004, at 7:28 PM, Paul Stewart wrote:

> Don, Landis and list,
>
> I can do that.
>
> I only have one job and its VR.
>
> http://www.mouthtosource.net/mouthtosource_live.mov
>
> Sorry guys, MAC only at the mo.
>
> All your other suggestions fit into the water category whether they are
> upstream or downstream of first data entry (VR) at any location on any
> river.
>
> This allows for multiple entries by different VR'ist without
> encroaching on
> the 'local' business plan of any other VR'ist.
>
> It means you have a window for promoting your other VR work, locally
> and in
> addition to your own business plan.
>
> It also allows the 'story' of the river journey to develop according
> to a
> number of artists, the sum of which is greater than the parts.
>
> Every city, every town, every village has a water course whether it's
> a lake
> or a river.
>
> You cannot be more egalitarian, or dare I say, transparent than that.
>
> I have 40 rivers globally to add from my first posting on the QT list a
> couple of months ago. Unfortunately, either through ignorance or bad
> design
> I'm not willing to load this content up until the navigation and
> additional
> functionality is sorted. Photographer, turned ham fisted programmer I
> admit.
>
> Anyone help with sorting out my nav?

I'm happy to help, but will have to check out your project first -
sounds fascinating and right up my alley...

> I demand we run in the player so that we lead from the front and give
> something to Apple (that has enormous global potential) to help
> promote VR.
>
> The idea of it being a dot org is very nice but think a little
> laterally
> about VR'ists as a group of people and the way we can organise
> ourselves.
>
> This last 'event' 100 photographers from x countries submitted work on
> theme. In this case World Heritage Sites.
>
> How many? 100? Well bugger me that makes us bigger than Getty, bigger
> than
> CNN and bigger than the BBC.
>
> This is a remarkable achievement, and loosely speaking we are the
> biggest
> news, picture gathering 'organisation' in the world.

No we aren't; those organizations can field huge teams of
photojournalists, with equipment and gear, travel budgets, and most of
all pay. We were able to get 100 photographers together for an hour or
two each, twice in one year, as an act of self-promotion and charitable
good will. If we were assigning tough jobs, with specific assignments,
and no pay we wouldn't get far.

I'm not denegrating this group - I have been glowing in my praise - but
we are not BBC or even the local news, we are a photo club. To compare
this group to the whole of Getty Images staff is absurd, I'm sorry.
They produce more photojournalism every hour than we did this year, and
certainly get wider coverage for a much larger audience.

If we were doing work for a magazine I would demand compensation; I
would have a rights contract; and I would need direction. WWPano works
because it is none of those things - but it also makes it far less
useful to news organizations, as they are not into random, staff-chosen
assignments with no editorial control.

Anyway, I'm very glad to see my somewhat maligned suggestions of doing
this regularly are now being echo'ed by the organizers, and I renew my
commitment to offer any technical assistance necessary to take the
production load *entirely* off Don, Landis, and everyone else's backs.
We need a content management system to manage the flow of media and
data, and to manage the building and delivery of our content. Several
of us have already voiced interest in working on this; I'm happy to
begin spec'ing out our needs, unless the orgs thinks that is premature.

I've been out of the loop this week in a crunch (at the OTHER Getty)
but will be posting more thoughts on this project soon.

Cheers,

Roger