Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2005-Feb-09 18:59:00
Subject:Re: What is the FOV number?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: What is the FOV number? Roger Howard 2005-Feb-09 18:59:00
On Feb 9, 2005, at 1:23 AM, Mario R Navarrete wrote:

> Hello
> i suscribe 2 or 3 weeks ago to the list and since then i'm reading and
> practice my english :p not so good but it's getting better every day. I
> writte until now because i was reading the 141 post 1 by 1  yeah! a lot
> of  interesting people in here eh! thanks to brooks for the welcome and
> now after read the suggested post "Roger's 9 steps" i have some
> questions, i don't know exactly what is the FOV or how can i calculate
> the FOV of my lens, i am working with a digital canon rebel , 6.5Mpix
> with the 18-55 zoom that was with it when i buy it; the soft i have is
> The VR Worx 2.1 and i am shooting the pics as the manual say, portrait
> (vertical) and giving 50% of overlap between each pic, in 18 for wide
> angle  (a lot of pics) on a manfroto tripod but until some days ago i
> see the importance of the nodal point, the head of my tripod is for
> video, i will try to buy the other.

Perhaps I should have said "focal length" and not FOV. FOV is measured
in degrees, focal length is measured in mm.

For your camera, take the focal length and multiply it by 1.6... so if
you're using the 18-55mm lens at its widest setting, that would be 18mm
x 1.6

18 x 1.6 = 28.8

Simply enter 28.8 as the focal length for your shots.

Hope this helps,

Roger