Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2005-Feb-09 23:06:00
Subject:Re: What is the FOV number?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: What is the FOV number? Roger Howard 2005-Feb-09 23:06:00
On Feb 9, 2005, at 2:46 PM, Richard Fox wrote:

> Greetings all!
>

>>  For your camera, take the focal length and multiply it by 1.6... so
>> if
>>  you're using the 18-55mm lens at its widest setting, that would be
>> 18mm
>>  x 1.6
>>
>>  18 x 1.6 = 28.8
>>
>>  Simply enter 28.8 as the focal length for your shots.
>
> I saw Roger's answer, but I am wondering if this calculation factor of
> 1.6 is just for the equivalent focal length for digital, because of the
> different 'film' plane size. I am guessing it is, since AFAIK the 18-55
> mm lens on a digital is roughly equivalent to the standard 28-80 mm
> lens that would come with a film-based SLR?

Yep, it is just to approximate the "35mm equivalent focal length", as
this scale is what most apps expect when they ask for focal length.
Since the OP mentioned using a Rebel I provided a factor that would
work for it (this wasn't meant as general advice to anyone using
PanoTools).

I just didn't want to confuse the OP with unnecessary details about
focal length multipliers, etc

-R