Sender:G. Donald Bain
Date/Time:2006-Apr-06 21:22:00
Subject:Re: some questions about wwp and improvements to the site.

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: some questions about wwp and improvements to the site. G. Donald Bain 2006-Apr-06 21:22:00
The most appropriate url would be wwp.org, but that was already taken
(by the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association).

Dot-com is really the one worth having, most browsers supply it
automatically, and people also type it without thinking. You may
remember a while ago when the IQTVRA owned iqtvra.org but not
iqtvra.com - and someone set up iqtvra.com as  a redirect to a very
blatant porn site. We probably had some very surprised people looking
for vr information.

Don

On Apr 6, 2006, at 2:05 PM, John Ryan wrote:

> Hi Don,
> Did you try one of the other Internet fields? There is
> a .info which would work very well with what WWP is
> trying to do - provide information.
> John
>
> --- "G. Donald Bain" <#removed#>
> wrote:
>
>> Andy,
>>
>> You are right, we should publicize the
>> WorldWidePanorama.com url
>> more. Everybody should use it when referring to the
>> WWP site in e-
>> mail or links on their sites.
>>
>> I also secured wwpano.com and have it set up as a
>> redirect, but
>> wwp.com was already taken. The url
>> GeoImages.Berkeley.EDU is
>> necessary to get free server and bandwidth through
>> the university.
>>
>> Markus will have to answer about how to display the
>> redirected url. I
>> don't know if it is possible. We are already doing
>> some tricky stuff
>> with internal redirection.
>>
>> A favicon would be a nice, and easy, addition. Any
>> individual
>> contributions will be seriously considered. The next
>> iteration of the
>> site will be up this weekend, we might even get a
>> favicon implemented
>> by then.
>>
>> Don
>>

>> On Apr 6, 2006, at 12:14 PM, centreofengland wrote:
>>
>>> I notice that you can gain access to the WWP site
>> by using the nice
>>> address  www.worldwidepanorama.com
>>> This is great as its very difficult to tell people
>> the other long
>>> address  geoimages.berkeley.edu/wwp
>>>
>>> Why dont you promote the use of this nice address
>> more?
>>> Can you set up the www.worldwidepanorama.com
>> domain so it keeps it
>>> in the address bar rather than it doing a harsh
>> auto-redirect to the
>>> other address?
>>>
>>> One other thing, how about a favicon for the wwp
>> site?
>>> These are very easy to impliment and it will mean
>> that when someone
>>> bookmarks the site it will place an easy to see
>> icon next to the
>>> bookmark. Thus making it stand out from the crowd.
>>>
>>> You can use html code such as...
>>> <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON"
>>>

> HREF="http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/wwp306/wwpicon.ico">
>>>
>>> This will use the icon called wwpicon.ico for the
>> fave icon.
>>> If you need nay help with this let me know, I'm
>> happy to help.
>>>
>>> P.S. Thanks for creating this site, each event
>> gets better and
>>> better. I will continue to keep adding my entries
>> into htis great
>>> site.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Andy