Sender:Markus Altendorff
Date/Time:2006-Apr-07 09:09:00
Subject:Re: some questions about wwp and improvements to the site.

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: some questions about wwp and improvements to the site. Markus Altendorff 2006-Apr-07 09:09:00
Quoted from Eduardo:
> You could use htaccess to redirect and even rewrite the URL to reflect
> WWP even being at GeoImages. Redirecting that way wouldn't have any
> issues with search engines (much better than using META or JS) and for
> the user, well, he wouldn't even notice the redirect nor being at GeoImages.

Hi,

we're looking into that. Note that this kind of "masking" usually requires the
server that hosts the "vanity domain" ;) to play proxy for all data that is
requested through that "nice" domain.

Something like:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/worldwidepanorama/$1 [P,L]

does the trick, but at quite some bandwidth penalty for the hoster... (read AND
write all data, actually doubling the throughput...)

-Markus