Sender:G. Donald Bain
Date/Time:2004-Dec-15 16:34:00
Subject:Re: Full information on Sanctuary QTVRs, soon?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Full information on Sanctuary QTVRs, soon? G. Donald Bain 2004-Dec-15 16:34:00
Caroling, and everyone,

Sorry we are a bit last-minute on the final details. Landis and Markus
have been making major changes on how to submit, which are not quite
final. As soon as they have a final version we can rewrite the full
information pages.

I will need to review the example pages also, as we hope to be able to
accommodate new information, and will be laying out the pages a bit
differently.

As to the basic specs, they remain the same. Let me summarize:

? photography must be done December 17-21, 2004
? one panorama per person only
? no multi-node panoramas, except...
? hotspots within a panorama must link to nodes on a different server
(i.e. not GeoImages) and must open in a new window

? panoramas must be self-contained Quicktime movie files, either
panoramas or objects
? an external sound file can be submitted also

? the panorama should be submitted in one or two sizes - standard is
mandatory, fullscreen optional

? the standard size panorama file size can be no more than 700k, but
less than 400k should be your goal
? the standard size panorama can be displayed no more than 700 pixels
wide - 570 by 320 pixels is recommended

? the fullscreen version file size can be no more than 3mb, but less
than 2mb should be your goal
? it doesn't matter what size the fullscreen is set to display at, the
html page will expand it to full screen width automatically (780 by 440
pixels is suggested)

The new submission process Markus has authored looks really great. You
will not only be able to submit by filling in an on-line form, but you
can correct and edit it also (without bothering Landis each time).  You
will be able to see your finished pages immediately. There will be
links to participants' biographies and their stories of the shoot.
There will be a master map and lists by name and geographic region. We
hope to provide support for all languages, including non-Roman
alphabets.

I hope this helps. Full details will be forthcoming soon. For now, just
plan on shooting this weekend with a fullscreen QTVR panorama in mind.
Think creatively about "sanctuary". Take notes so you can write a good
caption.

Don
G. Donald Bain
Geography Computing Facility