Sender:Markus Altendorff
Date/Time:2007-Dec-23 22:57:00
Subject:Re: Registered as a Member ?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Registered as a Member ? Markus Altendorff 2007-Dec-23 22:57:00
Hi,

i hope i can clarify a few things regarding Ed's
question.

Ed: See near the end of this message for a short
summary of the WWP idea, and the server's workings.

First, sorry for causing the misunderstanding
regarding the "Code monkey" line. It was meant as a
light-hearted colorful metaphor, though i must admit
i'm no native speaker/writer of the english language
and should probably refrain from trying such things.
Hence the :) emoticon sign at the end of the text
line.

For an explanation, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_monkey

I first heard of it being used in the title of a
website that had programming tutorials when i started
with Javascript and PHP a few years ago.

--- AYRTON - avi <#removed#> wrote:

> On 12/23/07, Edward C Hass <#removed#>
> wrote:
> > Ayrton:
> >   No not an offense, just a quote from a previous
> email I had recieved as one of the supposed WWP
> group from the code monkey Markus .... Please go to
> the bottom and read red text..... ed hass
>
> Thanks for the explanation.
> It is very dangerous to write jokes on a
> international List
> cause sometimes sense of humour is different in
> cultures, and so we
> can get it wrong.
> Thanks

OK, back to the main question:

> >           On 12/23/07, Edward C Hass
> <#removed#> wrote:
> > > I wish I could grasp this WWP Concept.
> > > After trying to join and have my name listed as
> one of the photogs 3x.

The WWP idea is as follows:

1) The WWP announces a topic on which to photograph a
panorama. The panorama has to be taken during a
specified time interval, usually the week around the
equinox/solstice.

2) Whoever wants to join, requests an account on the
WWP preview server.

3) The account is activated and the photographer can
now join the current event and upload the panorama.
The time to do so is usually from the start of the
photography period to about a week after it, usually
near the end of the month. After that, we need two
(sometimes three) days to check the texts and the
uploaded files, and after that, the content is
rendered into static webpages and copied from the
preview server over to the main server.
Between the end of the last timeframe and the start of
the next one, the preview server is simply
unavailable.

Here's the rub: If an account does NOT contain a
panorama after the deadline (sometimes happens with
new members that wanted to join, but never got around
taking the photograph, or the panorama didn't work out
right), then that account will be automatically
discarded to keep it from interfering with the rest of
the pages. Of course, anyone that didn't make it in
time can simply request a new account in the next
round. Any panorama submitted during an earlier WWP
will keep that photographer's account "alive"
indefinitely (otherwise, the links and references
would break).

-Markus

       __________________________________ Ihr erstes Fernweh? Wo gibt es den sch?nsten Strand? www.yahoo.de/clever