Sender:Pat Swovelin
Date/Time:2009-Jun-30 04:18:00
Subject:Re: QTVR to Flash switch-over

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: QTVR to Flash switch-over Pat Swovelin 2009-Jun-30 04:18:00
On 6/29/2009 6:48 PM, Uri Cogan's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
typed ...:
> I tried to disable the QuickTime plugin on my browser (Firefox, Mac) and
> noticed that in the preview display, the screen goes blank. Re-loading
> does not bring the Flash version up.

Because you still had Quicktime selected, so there was nothing to show.
Plus you don't want to disable Quicktime because it'll effect all of the
other sites you go that that still use it (that's a serious amount of
sites).

> I did notice an option to select viewers manually and switch over to
> Flash or Pangea, but that choice appears obscure and not likely to be
> accessed by naive users.

It's directly under the left corner of the pano and in the top-left
corner of the navigation area.  Where would you put it that would make
it stand out more?  And, no, we're not going to use flashing scrolling
red text.      =8^)

> Pleinpot, which I use to generate my web pages, can be set up to run the
> QuickTime version of the panorama, and to automatically load and run the
> Flash version if QuickTime is not found.

We're already using a sniffer.

> -------------------
>
> <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"><!--
> if (isQTInstalled()){QT_WriteOBJECT(
> 'media/pearson_college.mov', '100%', '100%','',
> 'controller', 'false',
> 'moviename', 'pleinpotVR',
> 'scale','tofit',
> 'autoplay','false',
> 'cache','false',
> 'bgcolor','000000'
> ,'SaveEmbedTags','true'
> );}
> else
> {document.write(window.location.href="pearson_college_swf.html");}
> // --></script>

> All I want to do now is code the reverse; give priority to Flash and
> fall back to QuickTime if Flash is not found :-)
>
> Uri.

Pat Swovelin
Cool Guy @ Large