Sender:luca vascon
Date/Time:2012-Mar-25 17:10:00
Subject:Re: cool new smartphone remote for SLR cameras $50

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: cool new smartphone remote for SLR cameras $50 luca vascon 2012-Mar-25 17:10:00
Well, yes, the kind of things I love are the one that really work, and
resolve problems. Not the ones that resolve problems you never had before.
This is one of those things that betray. they make believe you they resolve
one or two of your specific needs, using keywords that trigger you on. If
you have cold blood and bad, bad brain, not trusting (by default) anybody
that asks you money, than you go deep thinking and imaging what that shit
you want to buy CAN or CAN NOT do. By thinking what the camera ALLOWS YOU
or not.
Result?!
The only way to really, REALLY control (full tethering) a camera is via
usb-host and ptp.
You could transform a mobile device in a full (I mean FULL) camera control
ONLY through a usb-host.
1-if your device has the host port and the needed software
2-if your device connects with a software or with a browser to a
microcomputer or a computer that has itself usb-host and controlling
software. WARNING! Nikon ptp does NOT allow you to record the pictures on
the card, they must be downloaded after the shot, the buffer of the camera
is hijacked through the usb cable and nothing you can do...
Of course these things will DRAIN BATTERIES, on the camera and on the
(supposed) microcomputer you link to it.

Canon wants you to buy an expensive and heavy camera, and a superexpensive
battery grip with wi-fi like
WFT-E5A.
When you see the price the name changes in WTF?E5AAARGH!
I double hate the grips on cameras, coz they add weight and centimeters,
and you have to hadd weight and centimeters to your panoheads and tripods
in ESPONENTIAL WAYS!!, And then coz I'm left eyed, and they turn the camera
in an antiergonomic pain in the ass

So, start to think why you should need a device like that for, than answer
what is the correct setup.

If you want a capable remote, its price is around 15eur.
http://www.ebay.it/itm/intervalometer-Timer-Remote-control-For-CANON-450...
 It acts on trigger, very nice timer clock and timelapse features.
Before you ask for wireless, there is another wireless one that works in
the same way, but I prefer DO NOT RELAY on wireless, or on batteries when
it is not absolutely necessary. Cable is not 100%bulletproof but it is
closer.

Why should I stick or velcro the controller on the camera? If I've a
DSLRremote on a netbook, I want to use it to check focus etc. Otherwise the
youngnuo trigger can stay velcroed there.

What I'd do?
Well, first is* hack like hell!* I would Magiclantern all Canon cameras!

Second!? Like 2hells I will hack....
http://www.ebay.it/itm/LP-E8-Professional-Battery-Grip-for-Canon-EOS-550...
Imagine to saw off the protusion of this thing (you start to find it even
cheaper) and to connect it thru a cable to the camera (RJ45? Or 2xRJ45)
You have timelapser, but also you have focus, aperture and time control
thru the wheel on the grip. And 2 batteries (less weight on the camera).
If you bring down also  the AV-out cable... take a little monitor and stick
it on the grip...

:-D BBbbbbwhwhwhawhahwawhahwhwhahwahwahwahwhwahahhahhaw!
If they do not want to give us what we need we will hack our way to heaven.
Like panoramic shooting have always been.
:-*
Peace, love & happy hack to everybody.

*@Erik* you should definitely have a page done on ptng wiki about ALL
triggers, trigging possibilities and the cameras that accept
tethering-remoting, with pros and cons.
You gave 3 or 4 hints and links I was not aware of in the last days!
It would be nice and helpful for other communities too (nature and wildlife
photographers, timelapsers, etc etc.)
:-D :-D