Sender:G. Donald Bain
Date/Time:2005-Jan-10 18:34:00
Subject:Re: "One more site with stolen Don's panoramas"

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: "One more site with stolen Don's panoramas" G. Donald Bain 2005-Jan-10 18:34:00
I am always willing to let my images be used in promoting VR - three
are on panoramas.dk and four on wwp. Alex had one on his site for a
while. But these were all given with explicit permission, and were
properly attributed and linked back to my site.

I also encourage links to my site to promote tourism, and for
educational purposes. But the links must mention me and my site, and
link to whole pages, not the images out of context. Nobody contacted me
about use on this site, and there is no attribution or linking.

I know many people assume images on the web are "free" and theirs for
the taking. I have had to remove images from faculty websites for
copyright infringement. One professor recently published a book that
used a dozen of my photos (from Images of the California Environment on
Geo-Images) -- I only knew about it because he wanted higher resolution
versions. He said he intended to "tell me" (rather than "ask me")
before actual publication.

I am not loosing much in this instance of piracy - old panoramas,
no-one obviously profiting. But we all lose in general, from the lack
of recognition of our copyright and what we deserve in terms of
personal credit and a share of profits for our work.

We should all be on the lookout for this sort of unprincipled (or
uninformed) behavior, and do what we can to combat it.

Don