Sender:Robert C. Fisher
Date/Time:2005-Mar-31 06:04:00
Subject:Re: Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye lens: Does anybody use it?

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye lens: Does anybody use it? Robert C. Fisher 2005-Mar-31 06:04:00
On Mar 30, 2005, at 9:11 PM, Margaret & Dean Graetz wrote:

> List members,
>
> 	I am puzzled.
>
> 	There has been considerable traffic about the Sigma 8 mm lens
> but essentially none concerning the Nikkor equivalent (Nikkor 10.5 mm
> fisheye).

Not necessarily true, there are quite a few people who use the 10.5 but
since it's a full frame fisheye and not a circular fisheye it takes
more images to do a full spherical VR. I use both lenses, I use the 8mm
Sigma when I have a lot of people moving around and the 10.5 when I
have less people but need sharper images.

> 	Which assumption is correct?
>
> 	(1) There are few Nikon list members?
> 	or
> 	(2) The Sigma lens is not as easy to use as the Nikkor 10.5 mm
> fisheye?

No not really, it just requires a different work flow to process and
make the VRs. Actually the 8mm is less hassel since you need less
images for a VR.

> 	My curiosity comes from an intention to purchase one or these lens.

If you are a casual user go for the 8mm the image quality isn't quite
as good as with the 10.5 but you only need to shoot 4-5 images for a
full spherical VR. With some post magic it can look almost (I said
almost) as good as the 10.5. If you need great image quality go for the
10.5mm.