Sender:Willy Kaemena
Date/Time:2005-Jul-07 11:53:00
Subject:Re: my first panoramas

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: my first panoramas Willy Kaemena 2005-Jul-07 11:53:00

On Thursday, July 07, 2005, at 12:35PM, Richard Crowest <#removed#> wrote:

--- In #removed#, "Jaume Llorens [eldimoni.com]"
<#removed#> wrote:
> Thanks for your comments, Willy.
> I'm not sure to understand what you mean.. You can click with mouse
on
> picture and drag in any direction, and can do the same in the plan
of
> the lake.. isn't it a cilindrical VR..?
>
> En/na Willy Kaemena ha escrit:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I like your photos but personally  hate the way of  "moving
photo"
> > presentation, this is not VR for me. Why are you not making a
nice
> > cylindrical VR  out of it??

Hi Jaume -

Firstly, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the quality of your
panoramas - they don't look at all like the work of a beginner.

However, the Java viewer you're using isn't working for me - I can't
get anything to show up in any of my browsers under Mac OS X. (I saw
the photos by looking into the directory structure on your web server
and downloading the JPEGs.)

I think what Willy is talking about is something called 'warping' or
'correction'. Some simple "VR viewers" just scroll a flat image from
side to side, joining the ends together into an endless sequence. The
effect is a bit like sliding a printed image under a hole in a picture
frame. What you don't get is any sense of actually turning in a
circle. As I can't see your viewer, I'm not certain that this is what
it's doing, but that's my guess.

What things like Quicktime VR and the PanoTools PT viewer do is to
warp or curve the flat image into a cylinder or a sphere. This way you
get a real sense of turning in a circle, and an effect that's much
more like 'being there'. For the World Wide Panorama, you'd need to
produce QuickTime VR files, but for now you can stick with Java and
use the PTViewer applet (http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/ ),
which will give you a better effect, and should work for people with
Macs as well. The .jar file in this version can even be double-clicked
as a stand-alone application to view local JPEG panoramas (depending
on your Java installation).

I hope this helps!

Richard

Richard  that  is what I  see:  moving a flat image  "under a hole"  and  that    is  what I dont "accept" as VR. BTW  I had no problems to see that site  on my  Tiger / Safari  Mac

the   photos/stitching are very good,  no problem at all

Willy