Sender:Richard Crowest
Date/Time:2006-Jun-26 18:22:00
Subject:Re: A couple of friends dropped in for a drink...

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: A couple of friends dropped in for a drink... Richard Crowest 2006-Jun-26 18:22:00
--- In #removed#, Caroling Geary <caroling@...> wrote:
> See previous discussion on this list about the display size problem.
> I believe the fix is to remove the second sentence in the DOCTYPE at
> the top of the HTML source code for the page.
>
> That is, don't use this:
>
> Use this:
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN">
> or what I'm using:

Thanks for letting me know, and for the tip - I'd forgotten about that problem. In fact,
leaving out the URI in an XHTML doctype doesn't work. You need the browser to be in
what's called quirks mode, and it won't be if the page is any flavour of XHTML. HTML 4.01
transitional does it, though.

There's a very helpful discussion of the problem here:

http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/bonus/render-mode.html

I can't for the moment remember why strict mode refuses to give a <div> a percentage
height of the containing element - I think it may have something to do with the idea that
the content should determine the height of an element, though of course that's no help at
all if you want to fill (or partially fill) a page, box or whatever. It also suggests that Safari
isn't complying with the specs in rendering the box at my intended height, but that's a
whole 'nother story.

Thanks again,

Richard