Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2006-Sep-14 01:49:00
Subject:Re: QuickTime 7.1.3 changes kiosk and Flash availability

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: QuickTime 7.1.3 changes kiosk and Flash availability Roger Howard 2006-Sep-14 01:49:00
On Sep 13, 2006, at 4:45 PM, Caroling Geary wrote:

> OK, trying to comply, I was fully into it and almost done when I
> clicked "problem details" to see the format of the bug report and how
> they wanted it structured. At that Safari ate the page of the bug
> report, losing my 30 minutes of detailed work. Honestly I can't go
> through it again at this moment. I'm going to try to do damage
> control on my website first.
>
> And more honestly, I do not believe this is a bug. If you think it
> is, I do not think you have fully studied the problem.

Caroling - I posted this suggestion in an attempt to get you pointed
in a direction most likely to lead to resolution, not to make your
life harder. No, I haven't studied any problem, I started a new job
yesterday and haven't even updated Quicktime yet. That said, if an
update is breaking existing content, it's a problem, and Apple needs
to know about it, and the way to do that is the site I linked you to
- there's no need to debate the definition of bug with me, I'm in
full sympathy. I've reported many things to this site in the past
that weren't strictly bugs in the sense of "not behaving as
designed", but were definitely bugs in the sense of "not designed
properly".

> By the way, I found out about this problem on both the quicktime-
> users list and the QuickTime Apple forum. I didn't discover or
> uncover this problem, others did. Which you probably know by now,
> since you are on the users list.

Yours was the first post I saw on the subject, and I thought it'd be
helpful if someone (like you) with affected content actually posted a
bug report. I'm sorry the tool crapped out on you. I understand not
wanting to re-file right now - but I will tell you, only people who
can provide examples (in other words, those affected) will get any
response. My standard approach when I see people reporting bugs on
community sites like this list is to recommend they file a proper
report - this way we can hope to get a resolution. Sorry for the
trouble you had, but in the end it'll still be the best thing you can
do, short of simply undoing all of this functionality and conceding
defeat!

-R