Sender:Bjørn K Nilssen
Date/Time:2007-May-14 07:15:00
Subject:Re: mixed use question by newbie

wwp@yahoogroups.com: Re: mixed use question by newbie Bjørn K Nilssen 2007-May-14 07:15:00
On 13 May 2007 at 22:52, floris_dick wrote:

> Hey, nice panorama's there!! and some good 3d work too! My only
> comment would be on the parasol in the montage, perhaps some bumpmap
> and some Ambient occlusion or dirt map could help. The blending is ok
> i think, great attention to the reflections! Are they rendered or shopped?

Thanks :) The parasol should really also have some cloth dynamics (sag) to look
realistic.
And the reflections are rendered, with a spherically mapped background panorama which
also contributed a little for the lighting (GI) - but not much.

> The cubeface printed tent idea is really good, we could build an Olso
> tent in Amsterdam and an Amsterdam tent in Olso etc. The World Wide
> Tent project.. Could be real good!!

Yes, but unfortunately it costs quite a lot to build and print.. I have a good contact
with a company who makes such tents, but so far they are not too happy to pay for a
"test", although they are interested in the results.

> Great animation technique too b.t.w., i actually have a project where
> i can use this very well, thanks a million for the inspiration! How
> did you get the shadow on the floor between the tents?

It's a flat plane, mapped with a texture from the bottom cube face (or was it front
mapped - I don't quite remember..) A moving camera is not really possible inside a
panosphere without losing the illusion, so you can see the background slides a little
when the camera moves into the tent.

> As for the trees, they're imagemaps, ill have to look into that! The
> grass is from a panorama i shot in park with a big grass field and
> used the cube faces with frontal mapping in the renderings, the best
> way to go in any render. If you like i can mail you the files. After i
> clone out my shadow ofcourse ...

Thanks for the offer, but you don't have to do that. I typically use PTadjust to remove
the tripod from the nadir shot with a 110 degree fov square, and then I end up with lots
of temporary down-shots in my temp folder, which can be very useful for texture mapping.
Using standard photos for ground maps can always be tricky because you need to be a
little up in the air to get more than a little piece of it, and there is always a problem
with not getting your own feet into the photo. Extracting from panos is much easier and
better :)

> A few months ago i was in Norway visiting a friend (gjovik and Oslo),
> such a beautifull country!
Yes it is, but you only saw the flat parts..
I love Holland BTW, particularly your "Venetian" cities, like Amsterdam and Delft :)

--
Bj?rn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D